Monday, July 4, 2011

Asa's my child - and I'm God's :)

I'm sitting on the couch in the living room and my heart is overflowing with joy as I watch Asa play on the floor. I love watching him, listening to him, and he makes me laugh and smile so easily. It's crazy how much love I have for this little man... and it fills me with wonder when I think that God made him so intricately and delicately and then entrusted him to me. Wow.

On Sunday nights we have a Bible Study group that meets at our house, and we've been going through the book of 1st John. We've talked several times about the following verse:

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! -1 John 3:1

This morning I was reading in Hebrews because we've talked a lot about Hebrews the past month in Family Experience and I realized that it has been a looong time since I just sat down and read the book of Hebrews. As I'm reading and watching Asa play, I came to these verses:

[Jesus] says, "Here am I, and the children God has given me." Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death - that is, the devil - and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death... because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. -Hebrews 2:13b, 14, 15 & 18

As I sit here overwhelmed with joy and smiles at my little boy, I wonder if that is how God feels about me and my friends. I'm fascinated by the thought that God would call us his "children". And in this verse this morning... that Jesus too calls us his "children"... and that he helps us as I would help my child. I think about our Sunday night group... last night was long and a little rough, maybe rough is not the right word - maybe challenging would be better - but I wonder if the small group of us sitting around talking about how we can better be like Jesus and how we can love deeper and avoid pushing others away from Jesus - I wonder if by our doing that we are making God's heart smile? I wonder if he's like me... sitting on the couch, beaming at my son, watching his every move, and smiling with joy and love at the wonder of him as he grows and learns to do more. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that's how God feels about us. And that makes my heart overflow with joy!

Click on the link below and check out this video of Asa playing this morning... sorry it's sideways... this is my first video upload. I will get better at it I promise!! :)

Asa Playing

Love you!
-Kara Joy :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure that's how God feels. And I'm pretty sure that's why He would choose to allow us to experiencing parenting...so we could begin to comprehend the tenderness of His heart for us, His children. He loves us far more than we can comprehend.
    And I love you too!!
    Hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete